Discussion Leader -
Sharing insights, inspiring change -
Anthony R. Tersigni, EdD, FACHE
President & CEO
Anthony R. Tersigni, EdD, FACHE, is President and Chief Executive Officer of Ascension, a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As the largest non-profit health system in the U.S. and the world’s largest Catholic health system, Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all persons with special attention to persons in poverty and those most vulnerable. Approximately 150,000 associates and 36,000 aligned providers serve in 2,500 sites of care – including 141 hospitals and more than 30 senior living facilities – in 22 states and the District of Columbia. In addition to healthcare delivery, Ascension subsidiaries provide a variety of solutions including physician practice management, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, clinical care management, information services, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
With more than 36 years of healthcare operations experience, Dr. Tersigni’s ability to recognize, then capialize on, growth opportunities, combined with his proven strategic and leadership capabilities, has allowed him to maximize success. His education and work experience provide Dr. Tersigni a unique understanding of the efforts needed to lead an organization, especially during difficult and changing times. He is passionate about the formation of leaders in the Catholic healthcare ministry, championing the development of programs and efforts geared twoard preparing current and future leaders for all levels of sponsorship, governance and leadership.
Dr. Tersigni has shared his expertise with more than 20 professional organizations, serving as a board member and often as board chair.
Current Board Memberships:
- National Council Society of St. Vincent de Paul Foundation – Board Member
- National Catholic Bioethics Center – Board Member • St. Louis Regional Business Council – Board Member and Past Board Chair
- Healthcare Leadership Council – Member and Past Board Chair
- St. Louis Regional Chamber – Board Member/Executive Committee Member
- Economic Club of Detroit – Board Member
Past Board Memberships:
- President, International Confederation of Catholic Health Care Institutions (a Committee of the Vatican’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development)
- Catholic University of America – Board Member and Member of the Finance Committee
- American College of Medical Quality – Member
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce – Board Member
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra – Board Member
- Detroit Opera House – Trustee
- Davenport University – Member, Board of Governors
- American Hospital Association – Member, Health Care Systems Governing Council
- Michigan Virtual University – Board Member
- ProAssurance – Board Member and Member of the Audit Committee
- American Osteopathic Association – Advisory Committee Member
- United Way of Greater St. Louis, Inc. – Board Member
- Catholic Health Association of the United States – Board Chair 2010
- University of Detroit Mercy – Board Member
- Community Central Bank Holding Corporation – Board Member, Member of Loan Committee, Member of Compensation Committee
- Society of St. Vincent DePaul – Committee Member
Before becoming the first Presdient and CEO of Ascension in 2012, Dr. Tersigni had served as President and CEO of Ascension Health since 2004. Previously he served as Ascension Health’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer form 2001 through 2003. From 1995 to 2000, Dr. Tersigni was President and Chief Executive Officer at St. John Health, Detroit (now St. John Providence), which at that time was Ascension Health’s largest integrated health system. He also served the St. John system as Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer from 1994 to 1995.